Sunday 4 April 2010

Sunday Roast, Colorful folk, and general awesomeness!

The family went off skiing for a week so it was pretty quite around the house. I did start off the week by exercising but that ummm....tapered off?..hehe. As these things go.

Thursday, or rather 1am on Friday Ross made it down to my place and we passed out as it was late. We didn't really start moving bout till 1 but when we did we headed into Maidstone to have a wander and see "Shutter Island" at the Odeon.

There are sort of 3 bits to Maidstone we saw. This new high street right off the House of Fraser which is built up with new shops and has stands in the middle with people selling meats, bags, and other such things. Then you come to the end and go to the left and things decline rather rapidly. Lots of dodgy looking teens standing about smoking fags taking up the whole sidewalk and cheap chain stores. So we turned around after a turn through some pretty-ish church grounds which looked onto the backs of some posh flats.

Then there was a run down mall which looked newer than the ruddy part of town but obviously older than the shiny new high street. I found a pair of aviators for 5£ so that was fab as I felt I needed a new pair :D. I also tried on a pretty-ish slutty lacy dress which was not worth 16£ but was fun to try none the less.

Afterwards we crossed the river into industrial Maidstone and found the theatre and bought our tickets. As it was only 5ish and the movie didn't start till 8 we wandered back over the river in search of a pub. We landed ourselves at the Thirsty Pig. This place looked like your typical old English building. White walls with dark wooden beams. The front door stopped at about my chin so you had to duck and step down as you went into a small room with the bar at one end. We had two pints for under 5£ so that was good and we took them up the narrow stair case to a slightly larger room where we picked a booth in a corner by some windows. There were many low running wooden beams that did not seem very even. This place in general was a bit slanty and made me think of the house Homer and friends built for Ned Flanders, teehee.

Then we moved on to a steak restaurant we had seen earlier and had some very good steaks with blue cheese dressing, yummmmmmm. Along with a bottle of very nice red. We finished with just enough time to get to the movie. I was meh about it. It was much more drama to me than Thriller and was well done but not something that I thought was riveting. Ross enjoyed it.

Afterwards we had a good laugh as we left the theatre as there were shed loads of girls "doll'd" up to go to Liquid (some god awful club that chavs go to). By doll'd up I mean dresses that barely covered anything, cheap heels that just look a bit whorish and well yea you can imagine...teehee, it was very funny people watching.

Saturday consisted of going to store to get bread for family's arrival the next day and some other things. Then I made truffles which turned out fab! I did one set each of cherry brandy, Cognac, and citrus vodka. Was lots of fun and I made them look all pretty afterwards. Then Ross and I watched "Yes Man", which was actually not bad. Then we watched "Dark Knight" while we ate frozen pizzas which we had added some extra cheese and bacon bits too. Twas much improved pizza, yum!

Sunday was a bit of a faff (is that even how you spell it?) as there was tidying to do, rhubarb crumble to make and etc. We left late needless to say by a couple of hours but made it to Ross' parents place for a lovely Sunday Roast. His mum and dad were both chatty, relaxed, and very kind. They made me feel quite at home. The rhubarb crumble turned out perfect which was grand and the chocolates I brought them were oooh'd over which was nice. As we were heading out I asked Ross' mum if she had a biscuit i might nibble on the car ride back. Well there weren't biscuits so she gave me two kit kats and then a couple of penguins (chocolate crunch things), hehe just the kind of mum I like! Then she also presented me with a tub of rocky road chocolaty goodness sweets as it twas Easter and I think that was really my favorite part of all. It made me feel looked after I suppose. Coz if I was at home my mum and dad would have given me an Easter basket which is about all the fuss we bother with any way but something I quite enjoy. You don't always think about the things your mum and dad do that you love but that is something I really appreciate. Its like getting to be a kid, having a mummy give you sweets on Easter. So it made me quite smiley the whole ride home.

It was such a good weekend with a variety of activities which created a wonderful balance. All in all I'm very happy and a bit tired now. These weekends seem to pass to quickly even if they are three days long! Sighhhhh. Loads of ironing tomorrow now that the kids are back.

No comments:

Post a Comment